We ended up staying in the hospital one day longer than the last surgery. I think she was on so much morphine that she just couldn't get her appetite going. On the bright side, her pain control was fantastic.
These pictures were actually taken a day apart. She really lit up when the dogs came to visit. What a great hospital.
This time around I stayed during the day, and Ethan took night patrol. Night can be tricky because she becomes a little disoriented and hates that dang cast. Here is what Ethan said about her last night at the hospital:
The sun is up and my angel is asleep, hopefully for the last time in the hospital. The worst drama lat night was getting her to eat a small graham cracker. You would have thought we were asking her to undergo surgery again. Actually, she probably would have preferred that. After 30 minutes of negotiation (aka threatening, pleading, reasoning, drugging, ...), she finally agreed to eat 1 Sun Chip. After that torture, the night was smooth. Complained a little about the cast at one point (Valium is a good thing), but managed to get some sleep.
Here is a follow up to that post:
Update -- Kate woke up when the nurses came in. She had a big smile and gave us a "good morning." The nurses asked how she slept and she said "great, but I had a bad dream -- I dreamed I was feeling sick and had to eat..." Smiling, happy and relaxed so far this morning.ti
She makes me laugh. We discontinued the morphine and started her on Vicodin by mouth. She has to eat with Vicodin or you get sick to your stomach. We tried everything. I did find her a happy meal next door and she got down 2 nuggets and a couple fries. Never has eating junky food made me so happy. She has been getting stuffed kitty's from people and she names and loves them all. Thank you so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment