Thursday, March 1, 2012

Genetics

We finally got Kate's genetic test back.  Before I start explaining let me just say that it won't make any sense for two reasons.  First,  it's complicated.  Secondly,  I don't actually think I understand it. So there you go. 

We had Kate tested for the Marfan gene.  There could be three possibilities.  First,  she could just straight have the mutation on a certain gene that says, yup it's Marfans.  Second, there could be no sign of genetic mutations at all.  Third, there could be a mutation but not one that has ever been seen before.  We came up with option number three.  There IS a mutation and it IS in the area of the DNA that the Mafarns mutations are normally found,  but is not a mutation that has ever been seen before.  I guess mutations in DNA get put in a big system to be matched with other people who have the same mutation.  The particular mutation has never been documented before which also happens all the time.

So what does it all mean?  Well,  Ethan and I are going to get our blood tested for the same mutation.  If they find it in one of us,  I think it's back to the drawing board.  If they don't,  then I think we can decide to get the other kids tested.  See,  I'm not really sure.  Most likely it is just Kate and she got mixed up while she was in the oven.  One of those things.  Those really sucky, rotten things.  So there you have it. 

If this is totally screwed up I'll do a follow up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment