Once it was our turn, Kate was really nervous. I have to say, the guy who took off her cast was a bit of a....what's that saying when someone has zero personality? I am completely brain fried, it slips my mind. Anyway, I kept waiting for him to show Kate how the saw doesn't cut you, how easy it is, you know, something, anything reassuring. Nope. Nada from this guy. Kate asked how you get the cast off and he just dead pans back, " a saw". Really! So you tell all the kids I'm just going to take a SAW to your leg?? At this point Leah, who is here helping today, and I start talking to Kate and telling her how ok it's really going to be. She was a bit freaked. Then he started up the saw and it was loud and scary sounding. I held both of Kate's hands so she wouldn't reach down and get in the way. The saw would kind of give and jerk as it went through the cast and Kate would just start yelling that she feels blood and it hurt. Oh, I could have slapped that guy. He needs a new job. Anyway, Leah leaned down and explained that it was just her legs are sore and that was what hurt, the saw was not getting her. I told her the same thing. I had to look down and assure her there was no blood.
It was uncomfortable to get the cast apart, and then there was all the dreaded, hated cotton. I actually cut some of it off on her upper legs. Some of the cotton stayed stuck on her leg as you can see in the pictures. She was so very stiff and sore. I did give her a Vicodin and a Valium before we went.
We slipped on real underwear, no snaps, and lifted her gently back into the wheelchair. Then Mr. Personality sent us to X-ray where we laid her carefully on the table and took 2 x-rays. One of them required her knees to be a little bent, not a good idea. I put on an apron and held her little knees as bent as she could get them.
This picture is right after we got the cast off. Her legs are so skinny and thin. I mean, they were before, but now they just look sad. Can legs look sad? She brought her stuffed seal this time as you can see sitting on her arm. Thank goodness for her "stuffies" as she calls them. She held on tight to both the seal and me while he was sawing away.
After the x-ray we went into a waiting room and Dr. Wenger and his fellow came and talked to us. I was trying to think of questions and things I wanted to ask, but they started taking off the bandages over her right leg incision and it hurt, Kate cried, and all my questions went out the window.
What I did get was that he was very pleased with her progress so far and that her incisions looked good. He then gave us the bad news. He wants Kate to be in the wheelchair with ZERO walking or weight bearing for 5 weeks instead of 4. Major bummer. And when the 5 weeks are up, Kate is supposed to use a walker when she starts walking again. He said walkers are just easier for kids, more stable. I did ask for a new "prescription" for a smaller wheelchair and he gave us one for the walker as well. We go back in four weeks for a check up.
Kate sat in the van on the way home but with her legs straight on the bean bag I had in there and her chair laid back. As long as we didn't bend her knees she seemed ok. She did sing a little song on the way home, "I'm in soo much pain" but it was done with a smile and a cute little tune. We stopped and got her fries and a shake which she gobbled up.
Since we've been home, Kate has had her first bath. Two man lift and sit into the tub. And then Kate couldn't sit herself up. She kept slipping back. We gave her a wash cloth to sit on, but she still slipped. Her muscles are seriously impaired. I would have been more upset about this but Kate and I were cracking up. All the cotton that was stuck to her legs is now gone. I have put lotion on her legs several times and she is losing that dry skin like crazy. It really bugs her that her legs feel weird. Leah has gone to pick up better lotion.
Her incisions kill me. They are so much longer than I imagined. I knew they were there, but seeing that someone has cut my baby just hurts. I try to act like they are cool when Kate is watching me, but 8 year old kids shouldn't have these scars. She has a great attitude though. She is calling herself winner in the who has the most scars in the family race. I just hate them. I really do.
Kate is officially back on Vicodin at regular times. She is uncomfortable, but not crying. She is shifting around a lot trying to find the 'sweet spot', but it is eluding her so far tonight. More Vicodin at 8. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. So good to see my babe's legs, even as skinny as they are. Now to fatten her up, get pain control, and get those knees bending so we can get out in the world.



Your writing is amazing - so heartfelt and honest. What a rough day, but with just enough little warm moments to make it almost a good one :)
ReplyDeleteOh, look at those legs! Poor little Kate. You have been such a trooper Marci. I'm sorry you have to watch your baby go through this. 5 weeks will be a long time. I hope kate is feeling well enough to go out and see fun things very soon. Calll if you need anything.
ReplyDeleteSo happy the cast is off! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and we know things will begin to look up from here on out.
ReplyDelete