Kate is actually doing pretty well. She is refusing to eat what I fix, and claiming to be too tired to do homework. Sounds like a normal kid to me. She is feeling a little better. This last surgery was on her right leg and up until yesterday she never wanted to be laid on that side, but now she asks to be laid on her right side all the time. She still takes something for pain at night. Not sure if it's because she really needs it at this point or we found the magic combination to get her through the night and I'm afraid to change it. Kate is already going to sleep between midnight and 1 am, I don't need less sleep. I have been turning the lights out earlier and earlier, but then she just stays up and talks to me for an hour. Last nights discussion was about Star Tours and how you never see Luke or Han on the ride, but we do see Leia. How weird is that? Discuss among yourselves.
We are all counting down the days for this cast to come off. My mom was telling me about how it was when my sister got her spica cast off when she was 6 years old. I guess we have some pain to look forward to. Her legs will be very stiff from being in the same position for so long. Vicodin and many warm baths the first few days.
The other night Kate was sad so I moved her over and got into her hospital bed with her. We ate popcorn and watched Jungle Book. She had said it wasn't as comfy as her bed, and I agree. I think we are going to ditch the bed after the cast comes off and put her in bed with me. I miss cuddling with her and it's really hard to cuddle in a body cast. And, since she can't actually put any weight on her feet for four more weeks, I think having her in bed with me will help monitor that she doesn't accidentally hop out of bed and start walking. That's the idea anyway.
Kate is the cutest little person ever! She is so sweet. I am glad the cast is coming off soon. I do worry about her trying hop out of bed.
ReplyDeleteYou are such a great mom! Hang in there.
Your explanation of the genetics made sense to me! It is good that Kate has a spontaneous mutation for the Marfans gene since it means the rest of you are safe. Hopefully that testing can finish up soon so that you can put that part of the worries to rest.