Friday, December 16, 2011

The Hips

Kate had a CT scan of her hips today.  This almost didn't happen.  Our insurance only cleared her for one side.  Dumbest thing I have heard.  How can you see what's going on if you just get one side?  Her Dr.,  Dr. Wenger,  fought with our insurance provider and got both sides approved.  We only had a few days to get her in for the test because Dr. Wenger is having a meeting with a group of Dr.'s on Tuesday,  December 20th, to discuss her case.  We go back on January 9th to hear what the panel of Dr.'s think we should do.  I can call before then to see what he has to say about her CT results. 

We are getting pretty used to going to Rady Children's Hospital.  As we were hopping out of the van,  Kate asked what we were taking a picture of today,  her heart or her hips.  After I told her it was her hips,  she skipped her way to the parking garage elevator,  and I had a little pain in my heart.  She is so happy and carefree right now.  I hope that this is how it will be for a long time.  I had to stand in another room while Kate had her CT scan.  It had a little window and this is the best picture I could get.  They taped her feet to a little board and put a warm blanket on her,  which she loved.  It lasted only about 5 minutes which was just about right for both of us.  She said she couldn't see that I was behind her because she had to hold very still.  What a good patient!

Kate has always complained of some leg pain,  along her thigh's mostly.  We even took her to have x-rays a few years ago.  They didn't see anything and we chalked it up to growing pains.  Kate legs go on for miles,  so it made some sense.  Now, of course,  since she has been complaining of leg aches a little more,  I am wondering if it is referred pain from her hip issues somehow.  A little Motrin fixes her up,  but I will mention this to her Dr.  when I call for the results of the CT scan.  It's totally likely that these aches and pains have zero to do with her hips.  That's what I tell myself anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment