Thursday, November 17, 2011

Kate and Protrusio


More information from Kate's Dr. visit today.  After explaining the vertebra issues,  the Dr.  moved on to her hips.  You may be able to see on the left hip,  right side of the x-ray, he did some light markings.  Protrusio is when the femoral head starts to enter the pelvis.  This can cause some decrease in her range of motion among other things.  I can play the nurse here,  but I am feeling more like the mom,  and the mom isn't feeling technical. Usually causes pain and can require surgery to fix.  We are going to see a Dr. Wenger on December 5th.  He is a pediatric orthopedic hip specialist.  I was told that there were things we could do to help stop or slow this down.

The Dr. tested the range of motion in Kate's hips and had the nurse write down a bunch of numbers.  I heard a 70% in there somewhere and I have no idea what it could mean.  I was kind of in a daze when they started doing that.   By the time the Dr. finished,  he could see that I was fighting the tears,  and  I didn't want to lose it in front of Kate,  so he was nice enough to tell me again that Kate's scoliosis was within normal ranges and there was nothing right now that was an emergency.  We just needed to watch things.  But,  I needed to see Dr. Wenger as soon as I could. 

Yes,  I took Kate to McDonald's again.  She asked.  I was seriously about to give this girl anything she wanted at that moment.  If she wants some fries and a cookie,  done.  I was good though,  didn't get a diet coke or an ice cream cone for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment