Today was brace day. First things first, we got the brace on and the therapist started marking Kate up to make changes in the cut of the brace. There is a huge part that comes right up into her armpit, you can see it in the picture. Kate hated that, and I could see her underarm getting red and scratched up, and I hated it also.
She did trim the armpit area and a couple of other places and we refit the brace. Kate has to lay down to put it on to get the right fit. She then has to roll onto her side to help herself sit up. I told her I had to do that same move when I was super pregnant with her and her brother and sister. I could help her figure that part out.
All in all, Kate mostly just didn't like the armpit part of the brace, but we were assured that she would get used to it. You can see a hole in the left side of the brace, that is the 'release' part of the brace. Just opposite of that, but a little lower, is the part of the brace that is applying pressure to Kate's spine. So on the bottom right side it's pushing in to help correct a curve of the spine more towards the center, and on the ever loved armpit side, it's pushing the spine towards the center from the top. Her spine has two curves going in opposite directions. I hope that makes sense.
After we got Kate dressed, including hoping that her shorts would button up on the outside of the brace, she wanted to see what she looked like. I started to take pictures, but then we were shown to a mirror in another room.
I told Kate I didn't really notice any difference, although her bottom/lower back do look a little square shaped if I try hard to see a change.
These pictures were funny so I had to include them. Kate sat down and her brace rubbed against the chair and sounded just like your thinking it did. I looked over at her and she was laughing and covering her face. Too cute. It's nice to have a little funny when my throat feels tight and my chest hurts. She's a great kiddo.
Kate will slowly start wearing the brace, 1-2 hours today, 3-4 tomorrow, etc. until we hit 20 hours a day. We were told it will be similar to when she got her braces on her teeth. It will take time to get used to it, it will hurt, but eventually be alright. We were also told that her body would get used to the heat of wearing a tank top, a brace, and a shirt. Kate is highly doubtful.
By the time we left, I needed a serious pick me up. We decided to stop at Trader Joe's and get some chocolate and peas. It was about a 15 minute ride from the appointment to the store. We had the A/C cranked. Kate was still too hot, and I ended up putting my jacket on. I foresee cold times in my future.
By the time we started walking into the store Kate was asking to remove it. I told her we had to go at least an hour, I was hoping two. I looked at my phone and it had only been 45 minutes. This is when she told me she thinks she can get used to the armpit issue, but on the right side where the brace places pressure to straighten her spine, really hurt. She looked like she was in pain, wincing. Even typing that makes me kind of growl and shake my head. Frustrating to know you can't change it.
Kate wiggled and bent, as much as she could, the whole time in the store. I told her we could take it off once we got home. The second we pulled into the driveway she started ripping it off. Sweating to death, hurting, this is going to be a rough one. When we go back in two weeks, they may add another pad to the right side to push it even further. So she might get used to it, but then it will start all over again. At that appointment in two weeks, we set up an appointment for x-rays. This is where we hope to see some change, that the brace is doing it's job, and we also have a follow up appointment with her doctor. If it is working, we go back every 4-6 months to make sure it is still fitting properly. If it's not, back to the doctor. Not going to think about the rest yet.
These days seem to be getting harder on me. I've decided to allow myself one complain and feel sad and angry day. This is that day, so stay clear, you are warned. Tomorrow I will start repeating the list in my mind of places, people, and things that make life great.






No comments:
Post a Comment