Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Sunday

 We are starting to get out into the world a little bit more.  I took Kate to the library this last week.  I have taken the kids to the library almost every week for at least 10 years so this was a nice, routine thing to do.  She was a little worried about people staring at her in her wheelchair the first few places we went,  but she pretty much just cruises past people now without a glance.

I have completely ruined her while she was in her cast.  Brushing her hair is all I am allowed to do.  No styling whatsoever!  This kid is all attitude.  I am sure it will serve her well someday,  but I'd sure like to do something with that mop on her head.  She is getting dang speedy on those wheels.  I come at her with a brush,  or heaven forbid something to put in her hair,  and she is off like a shot protesting as she goes.  As a side note,  all that pushing in the wheelchair is making her hands actually peel and callous.  Lotion, lotion, and lotion.  It does help,  but only if I can catch her.

We are one week from this coming Wednesday on her thumbs up to try walking.  I still need to get the walker from the medical supply company we are using.  We see her Ortho Dr on this Wednesday for a check up.  Fingers crossed he doesn't add any more time on wheels. 

We took the kids to the zoo last Wednesday.  It was a beautiful day.  Noah actually really likes pushing Kate,  and Kate really likes telling Noah where and how to push her so they make a great team.  It's interesting to cruise the world via wheelchair.  You notice ramps for the first time in places you've been a thousand times.  You also notice where there aren't any ramps, or wheelchair access restrooms, or horrible counter top heights, etc.  It's really been an eye opener for me.  I feel for people who spend their entire lives in a wheelchair.

Easter bunny came this morning and we had to make sure eggs were at wheelchair level for Kate to pick up.  She did pretty well for herself.  She is getting so strong.  She uses her arms to move from on chair to another now with ease.  I notice I repeat myself sometimes,  try to ignore it.   Or if you're getting old like me, you can thank me later for all the reminders.  If you remember.

The Marci update is that I started school this last week.  Tuesday and Thursday nights from 5:30 to 9:30.  It's a nurse refresher program for nurses who haven't worked for a while.  I've learned a few things so far.  First,  there aren't any jobs right now.  Nice.  Second,  I tried listening for heart and breath sounds through my stethoscope and can't hear a flipping thing.  If I concentrate really hard,  I can make out the faint evidence that I do indeed have a beating heart.  Bugger.  I was interested in Orthopedics, or the OR, or PACU.  I figured the OR thing was out.  Don't need Drs.  getting all angry because I can't hear what they want.  But PACU,  I thought I could swing that until I tried the stethoscope.  Can't take care of patients I can't hear.  I was thinking,  what if I am working on a floor and I hear a 'help' or 'nurse' or something else yelled out.  I would be looking around in circles, I can't tell sound direction any more.  Yup,  so much fun. I am looking into school programs for admin,  research, or informatics.  All pretty much require more schooling.

I think that's it until Wednesday.  Wish us luck.  Hope you all had a wonderful Easter.

2 comments:

  1. It is so great to see Kate out and about. She looks so happy and excited! I hope re learning to walk goes well.

    You are one busy woman! I hope you enjoy your classes. I hadn't thought about how not being able to hear well would be a problem for nursing. I'm sorry. You have such a good attitude about it and I'm sure you will find something that will be great for you! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they cut my femur off all the way too... Definitely do the physical therapy.. It will boost Kates spirits to see her improvement :) good luck with school Marci.... :) You can do it!

    ReplyDelete