We saw Dr. Wenger today, yes it took 3 hours. Here's the deal. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I didn't realize that they actually severed her femur in two. I thought there was like a cut in it. Dumb, yes. Very. So, you can see on this x-ray on her right leg the line where the bone is starting to heal, sorta. It's hard to see. So Kate can start walking next week with a walker. She has to use a walker for the three weeks after that. I swear they make everything sound so much easier at the beginning and then throw all this other stuff at you slowly. I guess it's good, we would all go nuts knowing what we were getting ourselves into from the start.
Kate had the fun experience of being x-rayed twice. The first time they didn't get low enough to get all the "hardware" in her legs. Probably why it took us three hours. I have to say though, Rady's is a well oiled machine. Even if a slow one. She is totally a "Princess and the Pea" girl. Had to have something under her head while we took the pictures. Had to express how hard the table was, etc. At least she did it laughing. Oy.
So these are the feet, that won't wear the shoes, that her mom purchased for her yesterday! She has long feet with a boney protrusion on the outsides of them. It's part of her foot bone, I guess it's part of Marfans. Anyway, she needs shoes to float around her feet, not actually touching any of the sides. Back the shoes will go. I just bought her a pair of shorts that were size 10 and I had to take them back and get a 12. She's 8!!! It used to be like this cool thing she was tall, now it just kind of depresses me. At least she is proportional, unlike some Marfans sufferers.
Asked about going to Disneyland. Haven't been since January! I know, so sad, right? Dr. Wenger said it was probably a better idea to wait another month. So we are looking at middle of May. I failed to mention that she will start physical therapy as well. We did ask about that before the surgeries and were told she most likely wouldn't need it. Whatever. How's that for an attitude! I learn from the best, Miss Kate.

You guys are going through so much! It never stops and it probably is a blessing you didn't know it all up front! I'm so happy Kate is going to be ready to start on the walker next week. Good luck with the shoes and clothes! I hope you find something that works.
ReplyDelete