Saturday, January 7, 2012

Surgery and Kate

We broke the news to Kate about having to have surgery.  The word surgery sent her into some tears.  Not actual sobbing,  but some "I don't want to have surgery" tears.  Hard to take.  We pulled up her x-rays and showed her exactly what is going on with her hips and femur head and explained in simple terms what will happen.  She knows there will be a cast and wheelchair involved.  She wasn't very happy about that,  but when we told her she was moving into my bedroom and will be sleeping with me,  she actually got a big smile on her face and gave me a hug.  What can I say,  I'm just a party.  Everyone wants to hang with me.

My sister, Mandi,  was in a body cast when she was six,  she was hit by a truck.  My mom sent some pictures of Mandi in her cast for me to show Kate.  We pulled them out for her to see and it seemed to make her feel better.  This is Mandi and my cat Shasta in the picture.

I told Kate that we are going to see the Dr.  on Monday and he would give us the details of the surgery, etc.  Kate said she wants to know the details of the cast and wheelchair,  but when he's talking about the about the actual surgery she would like to put earplugs in and watch a movie on the iPad.  I thought that was a brilliant idea.  By the end of the conversation she really just wanted to go back to watching cartoons, so I guess we are doing alright today.  We'll see how Monday goes.  Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. Keep 'em coming!

1 comment:

  1. Why was I thinking that Mandi was older than 6?? And I totally remember Shasta! Funny the things we don't remember but never really forget......did that make any sense?

    She's going to do great!

    ReplyDelete