Thursday, October 20, 2011

Kate's Eye Surgery

Well,  I  just got off the phone with the eye Dr.  at Shiley Eye Center at UCSD.  After conferring with another Dr.  that saw Kate,  they think it's best we postpone surgery for now.  They would like to have her fitted for contacts as they are supposed to give her better vision.  After we see how she does in contacts,  which I'm thinking may be difficult for an 8 year old,  we will revisit the surgery.  The eye surgery will happen at some point.  I think their thinking is that as long as she can see well enough we can postpone it until she gets a little older.  So,  we go back to Shiley on October 26th to see someone who will fit her for contacts.  Hopefully she will be able to use contacts.  She has asked to get them in the past so I know she is motivated.  Wish us luck.  I know Jed thinks we should just do it now.  Jed was the one who caught the dislocated lenses in the first place.  I am eternally grateful that he did.  I can't imagine something happening to Kate because we never caught it.  And I am really ticked at her regular optometrist here in SD who never dilated her eyes and caught it himself over the last few years!  Anyway,  I can see both sides of the argument for waiting and doing the surgery now.  It's difficult getting different opinions.  I can just hope and pray that erring on the side caution and trusting the Dr.'s at Shiley serves us well.  Where's that crystal ball when you need it?

No comments:

Post a Comment