Sunday, October 30, 2016

Almost Two Weeks Out

Ice Cream and a Smile

We had our first outing! Went to the drive thru for an ice cream cone and then stopped at a gas station where Kate actually walked in, rocking her Pooh Bear comfy clothes, and picked out a piece of candy. No Halloween for this girl after all. Funny how you don't care about being in pajamas or how things look when your just living in the survival mode of life. I was just incredibly happy that she walked as well as she did. Pretty cute pajamas and beautiful girl anyway.

By time we got back in the car she was seriously tired. But we had some smiles, sang a few of Kate's favorite songs, and got to see something other than the inside of my house. Straight to bed afterwords, of course. I stayed with her and we watched Jimmy Fallon funny hashtags on YouTube.



On Thursday the 27th Kate had her first day of "school" with a tutor at home. She lasted a whole 40 minutes sitting up and concentrating.  She is coming again tomorrow so today will be full of homework. And that's only one class. Her teachers have decided which things she actually needs to turn in and which things she can skip. Her tutor said none of her teachers were worried about Kate and her grades. She's a straight A type of girl.

Yesterday Kate had a couple friends come and visit for a while. They brought goodies and Kate introduced them to 5 Crowns, a Poll family favorite. She had a great time, all smiles. As soon as they left it was time for a pain pill and lay down for a while. Every time someone asks how she is feeling she just says fine. I guess that is what we all do to a degree. Life and body can be falling apart and we all just smile and say fine. Kate has decided to sleep with me a few times. Honestly it's rather nice. I don't have to get up twice a night to give her pain pills.

So tomorrow, Monday, is our two week mark. Feels like a lifetime ago. Kate has been itching, literally to get her dressing off. She convinced me that today was the day. So we gave her a shower and then sat her on the toilet all wrapped up while I tackled her dressing.

We were given little pads, similar to alcohol pads, that take off the sticky stuff that medical tape leaves behind. I was armed with those, scissors, and a warm,wet cloth to help this process be as painless as possible.

Kate watched Bolt on my phone while I worked away. It probably took 35 minutes. She has some steri strips that, will fall off on their own, that decided to keep some of the dressing. Hence the scissors. So much yellow sticky stuff on her back, we were laughing and being silly the whole time. Once in a while Kate would say, I can't feel right there, or that feels like a horrible bruise. Needless to say, that is why we took our time.

The incision is incredibly thin and looks so much better than I thought it would. I think this will be a very nice scar. There's still some marker and sticky goo here and there, but a few showers will help take that off.
Looking Good!

We are acting a little more cautious again, even her hair laying down on her back kind of hurt. Small steps, but we are getting there!

No comments:

Post a Comment