| Eye Test |
Today Kate and I went to Shiley Eye Center for her pre-op appointment. We got there are 10, and left about 12:30. They actually shuttled us to the first room pretty quickly, but then the inevitable stall out. They took Kate's vital signs and then we spoke with a pre-op nurse who gave Kate her own little bag to bring back to surgery. It was full of prescriptions that I need to go fill a few days before surgery. She has to have antibiotic drops in her eyes every day for a few days before surgery. The nurse also attached a coupon for each prescription. Can't wait to see how much they cost me.
We then took a little tour to the surgery floor and recovery room where Kate immediately decided that surgery had once seemed like a good idea, but was no longer on her to do list. The anesthesiologist came out and talked to us, aka. me, because Kate had clammed up and was being rather serious about this no surgery thing.
| The ever famous snack stand at Shiley |
Right now she is scheduled to have surgery in the Shiley center, but given her distended aorta, the surgery may be moved to a hospital. We will find out a few days before surgery. They are going to be talking to her cardiologist to OK the surgery. Always a chance we will have to see him before surgery as well.
After the tour we were sent back down to get Kate an EKG and have her eyes measured. The EKG was fine, she is a pro, but she hates those sticky pads like no other. It took a lot of alcohol wipes and patience to get them off without her screaming bloody murder.
And then we sat, long enough for me to really start thinking. That is never good. For months I have been saying how I can't wait for this surgery, for Kate's eyesight to be improved. But at that moment, all I could think about was what if it doesn't go well and she ends up blind. I wanted to find her Dr. and ask him about the odds. Then, of course, I had this whole discussion with him in my head. He couldn't possibly say that everything was going to be fine, they never say it in those words, lawsuits I suppose. So, in my head of course, I started yelling, "but are the odds in our favor?" And then I started thinking about Hunger Games and conversation started sounding like a movie. Thank goodness they came to get us for her last eye test. After we got that done, we were out of there. I was feeling rather guilty about the whole sticky pad moment so we hit the snack shack and ditched the rest of the school day. HA! I know you wish I were your mother. :)
This weekend we are heading to the desert, to swim, get hot, swim, get hot, and repeat until Monday.
No comments:
Post a Comment