I know, I know, I haven't posted in forever. So here's the latest. Kate started going back to school about 2 weeks ago. She is still on her walker, until tomorrow supposedly, but she still has an interesting gait going on. She is supposed to be having physical therapy, or at least a consult, and I'm still getting through all the authorizations, etc.
Kate was very nervous to go back to school. She said she just wanted to stay at home the rest of the year. That first morning she told me she was afraid that everyone had forgotten about her. We pulled into the school lot and I got her walker out, we weren't 10 steps before we hear someone across the street start yelling her name! Next thing you know a bunch of kids are yelling, "Kate's back, Kate's back." She had a grin, ear to ear. She is just dandy going back to school now. I will admit, I was so used to her being glued to my side, the first couple of days were strange for me.
Kate had her follow up x-ray to check her scoliosis and spondy in her back. I took her the Rady Children's and we were dressed and ready for x-ray when the tech was like she's here for her hip x-ray, right? Um, no this is for her back. Well, the order said hip. I said, well the order is wrong, please go check it. Needless to say, they had Kate on the table ready for hip film and I made them wait to get the right order called down. Sure enough, Mom was right. I went from being that annoying mother who won't let us just do our job, to thank goodness you are keeping track of these things. Whatever. Got the films done and while we were waiting to talk to Dr. Newton about the results, the nurse came in and apologized for putting in the wrong film request. It was fine, but parents need to be patient advocates and not always rely on medical staff. Ok, off my soap box. The good news is that her scoliosis and spondy have remained stable. We go back again in a year. Thank you, thank you, thank you. So happy to have good news.
We go back to cardiology on May 30th for another cardiac echo and check to see if her aorta has changed. That's the new prayer, the heart. We will schedule eye surgery for early fall.
This picture is of Kate and her "boyfriend" Ethan. They have been in the same classes since kindergarten. He sent her cards while she was out that said, "you are my best friend." This was taken at his house last Saturday. He is moving to AZ for two years for his mother to go to school. Everyone at the elementary, teachers, have talked to me about how sad it is to break them up. He is tall like Kate, so she loves that. It was the sweetest thing when we showed up at his house. It was an open house, drop by thing for the mom to say good-bye to everyone. Ethan had been swimming with three or four other boys when we arrived. He ran up to Kate and said, "I have been waiting for you to get here all day." And then he promptly told all the other boys that he wasn't' playing with them anymore and he took Kate and off they went to make a lizard trap in the backyard. The funny thing was when we walked out back to all the adults, Ethan's mother introduced me as her future in-law and Kate as Ethan's girlfriend. They decided they would Skype and write to each for the next two years. So sweet.
I think that covers it for now. I am having way too much homework for my nursing refresher course. I am using Kate as my final project so I have been doing her history and physical and doing research on all her physical issues. It's good to be informed I guess, even if I don't like what I am reading. Since I cannot hear well, I am going to go back to school for Health Informatics. With this and my RN, I should be able to find a fun job. I hope. I start in June. Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment