That's right, shizzy. People who know me know that I have my own vocabulary at times. Can I point out the difference between this picture and the one on the top of this blog? Kate has become a totally different person since we started this journey. I can't believe we have been doing this for so long, and yet I can barely remember life without Marfans.
I honestly thought we would walk in there and they would say that Kate had grown, she is now 5 6", and that her aorta had stayed the same size, or by some miracle had a smaller Z score because her body was now so much bigger and it had only grown a little. This happened last year, so I wasn't completely bonkers for thinking this.
Unfortunately, I was way off. A little lesson first. A Z score is basically measuring the dilation of the aorta. Her last Z score was 3.4 which was one year ago almost exactly. Her new Z score is 3.8. A change of .4 in one year. Definitely not the results we wanted. We asked a few questions and the doctor said at a Z score of 5, surgery is indicated. So I said we have until she reaches 5, and he shook his head and said no, we start talking surgery at a Z score of 4.5.
When Kate was first diagnosed, we knew this surgery was a possibility, but wasn't a for sure thing. And I had hoped IF it had to happen, it would happen later in life. Now we are just trying to postpone the inevitable. Very hard to hear, very hard to keep it together with Kate sitting right there. She was asked if she understood and she said that she did.
To slow down the progression we are going to add a medication to her current medication that lowers her blood pressure. One side effect is depression. That is the only one that I will really be aware of. Kate is such a happy and upbeat kid, I'd hate anything to change that. This new medication will help lower her heart rate, but we need to lower it only enough so she is still within normal heart rate parameters. She is wearing a heart monitor for 24 hours to get a baseline heart rate, then she will start a low dose of the new medication. We then go back in a few weeks and recheck her heart rate and increase medication as needed. This will likely happen 3 or 4 times until we get the correct dosage. Her positive on this, at least she doesn't have to wear the new uncomfortable brace for 24 hours.
We asked about her PE class at school and her doctor is convinced that the benefits outweigh the risks. We then had a several minute conversation about what Kate can and cannot do again. I think she gets it, but it's hard when all of your friends take off running and you cannot. So, that is kind of stinks. Least of my worries at the moment though.
Here's what is coming up. X-rays and doctor visit to see if new brace is working on November 3rd. Appointment with her cardiologist on November 5th to check heart rate. A visit to her eye doctor on November 19th to check on her lenses. We might have to throw in a weekend at Disneyland. Serious group therapy right there. Prayers are always welcome.


No comments:
Post a Comment